Smart Battery Management System
Customer Location: Switzerland, Europe
Requirements: The client certainly needs to design a battery management system for LTO batteries, through which battery cells can be balanced through an active balancing mechanism. Above all, It means the charge of cells will be transferred from one cell to another without losing energy. Passive balancing technique disperses energy in heat through a power resistor. Balancing was done with an average 4Amp of the current to make the balancing process fast enough to manage higher charging or discharging current up to 200 Amp.
We have designed an active BMS system suitable for all kinds of batteries like LTO (2.4V cell voltage), lithium iron phosphate (usually 3.7V cell voltage), and lithium-based battery cells. Multiple BMS systems connect through serial communication for higher voltage requirements. BMS systems with safety precautions like a short circuit, higher voltage, higher current, cell health monitor, and temperature monitoring of each battery cell. BMS systems can also connect to an IoT gateway to monitor all information or remotely control the system. BMS systems basically connect to external systems through RS485 or CAN to control or monitor the parameters.
- Board bring up and drivers development for balancing ICs
- Balancing algorithm
- Communication protocol development and documentation
- Low power management in existing boards.
- Precise cell monitoring and regular update of the data.
- Research for the different lithium Ion batteries and balancing techniques.
- Component selection and Schematic entry of the board
- PCB and Layout designing
Board bring and validation of the hardware.
- CE certification support.
Wifi-based basic server development for the designing and production of devices.
Basic hardware test application through CAN protocol.
- Active balancing of Lithium batteries with different voltage ranges.
- Balancing algorithm for multiple BMS systems in series.
- Communication mechanism for series connection of BMS systems.
- Typical PCB dimension with respect to electronics and mechanical enclosure design.
Active balancing of cells, Cells monitoring, Wifi, STM32L, CAN, RS485.
Battery Management System(BMS), Automobile and Solar power system